Sunday, December 6, 2009

tehelkaaaa


http://www.tehelka.com/story_main43.asp?filename=hub211109mastertakes.asp

ASHISH RAJYADAKSHA ON FILM
I’m a huge fan of Anurag Kashyap’s work. He is a remarkable filmmaker. While I liked Dev.D, I liked Gulaal even more. Gulaal is based on a theme I’m very familiar with – feudal politics in north India. What I found amazing about the movie was how it inverted all standard truisms. It wasn’t an expose, he was trying something else entirely. While Dev.D is a more accomplished movie, Gulaal was a more operatic style of filmmaking. It transformed the representation of north India. It was an implosion of the grandeur of old India into college politics. Another film that I liked a lot was Sin City by Shrikant Agawane. It maps crime as depicted in movies and contrasts it with crime as it actually happens in Mumbai. Another documentary filmmaker I really like is Abhijit Mukul Kishore, who made a documentary on his own mother that I found quite interesting. As of now, I’m looking forward to Amar Kanwar’s next.
Rajyadaksha is a film theorist in Bengaluru

No comments:

Post a Comment